Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What Type of Learner Are You?

I recently - as of Tuesday! - started a new course, one which I am very excited about.  I am doing a Professional Diploma of TESOL, which stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.  It is a 600 hour course, and once I have completed the foundation course and the nine electives, I will be qualified to teach English as a second language in any international country.  It feels so good to be studying again after being at a bit of a loose end for the past 6 months or so!  

I was learning today about the different learning types.  There are four main categories, and numerous smaller ones.  "The four main learning styles are visual, auditory, kinaesthetic and tactile.  A visual learner learns best by seeing the information set out clearly and recalls information by remembering where it was located on a page.  An auditory student learns best by hearing the lesson, discussing and talking about it and then by using rhythm and sound to recall the information.  A kinaesthetic learner uses movement as a memory aid.  They prefer to learn while doing and often find it hard to sit still through a lecture.  A tactile student learns by touching and so therefore prefers writing and drawing as ways to not only convey information but also to remember it.  They also learn well in hands on activities and through presentations and demonstrations." (taken from my answer to the 16th assessment question).

There was a test included in my 450 page text book, to determine what learning type you are. I thought it would be fun to put it in here so you all can find out for yourselves...if you feel so inclined. :)

Directions:
Rank each statement below as 0, 1 or 2. Write 0 next to the statement if it is not true. Write 2 next to the statement if you strongly agree with the statement. Write 1 if this is sometimes true.
The intelligences which you score the highest in are the ones in which you are
strongest. In the Left Brain and Right Brain Learning section simply mark a yes or a no relating to the question. The section where you mark a ‘yes’ the most times is the learning styles you identify with the most.

Linguistic Intelligence
I like to write stories and poems. ………
I read something everyday for enjoyment ………
I enjoy doing crossword puzzles. ………
I am a good letter writer. ………

Total Score ………

Musical Intelligence
I often sing in the shower. ………
I know the tunes to many songs. ………
I have no trouble identifying or following a beat. ………
I have a very expressive voice, varying in intensity, pitch,
and emphasis. ………

Total Score ………

Logical-Mathematical Intelligence
I can calculate numbers easily in my head. ………
I liked maths classes at school. ………
I am interested in new developments in science. ………
I believe that most things have a logical and rational
explanation. ………

Total Score ………

Spatial Intelligence I like to draw. ……… It is easy for me to find my way around unfamiliar places. ……… I pay attention to the colours I wear. ……… I like photography ………
Total Score ………
Bodily/ Kinaesthetic Intelligence I like to dance. ……… I engage in at least one sport. ……… I find it hard to sit for long periods of time. ……… Most of my hobbies involve physical activity or sports. ………
Total Score ………
Intrapersonal Intelligence
I consider myself independent. ……… I have hobbies or interests that I enjoy doing on my own. ……… I keep a journal and record my thoughts. ……… I like to work on my own instead of working in groups. ………
Total Score ………
Interpersonal Intelligence I have more than one close friend. ……… I consider myself a leader and often assume leadership roles. ……… I like to entertain friends and have parties. ……… People often come to me with their problems. ………
Total Score ………
Left Brain Learning
I am more aware of the beat than the melody in music Yes/No I learn by listening and taking notes Yes/No I understand something new by piecing it together Yes/No I prefer to write directions rather than use a map Yes/No
Right Brain Learning
I remember people by their faces rather than their names Yes/No I am more co-operative than competitive Yes/No I like to be spontaneous instead of planning ahead Yes/No I prefer my workplace to be comfortable and messy Yes/No

Results (remember that these results are taken from a learning English and a teacher's point of view) :
Linguistic learners are interested in words and their origins and word puzzles such as crosswords.
Musical learners enjoy working with the rhythm of the language. Speaking activities focusing on expression and pronunciation and any activities involving music or poems will appeal to this group. Logical and Mathematical learners enjoy solving problems and may enjoy a task based approach. Students with a high spatial intelligence will enjoy tasks that incorporate creative activities such as art and crafts. Students with a bodily/kinaesthetic learning style will respond well to tasks that involve movement such as role plays and running games. Students with strong interpersonal intelligence will work well on group tasks and on collaborative projects. Students with strong intrapersonal intelligence will work well on individual projects. They are able to reflect on their own learning and may respond well to keeping a journal.

What were your results? If you'd like to, please share them in the comments, I'd love to hear about them. :) I was a Intrapersonal Learner, with a left brain dominance, and am a visual learner, if you were going to categorize from just those 4 options.  It was interesting that I was a left brain dominance, because I am also left handed, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it...?? I scored a 7 in the Intrapersonal category, and the bodily/ kinaesthetic learner category earned the lowest score with a sad 1.

Anyway, I hope you are all having a great week and have fun with the quiz!


3 comments:

  1. I scored a 7 in Linguistic Intelligence and Intrapersonal Intelligence and a 1 in Bodily/ Kinaesthetic Intelligence, I also appear to have Left Brain dominance too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got question marks on Left Brain... (actually I got: ?, maybe, ? either) and 0 for Bodily/ Kinaesthetic Intelligence for Right Brain I got maybe yes, not sure, no, no. The highest score I got on anything was 5. Intrapersonal Intelligence was 5 and with Interpersonal Intelligence 4.

    Obviously I am not very good at getting distinctive answers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, it did say that there are many different learning types, and these are only some of them.... I also found the left/right brain questions a little difficult. But when I read the definitions, I knew which I was, but only from the explanation, and not the questions. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts.... :)