Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Making Gravy

I was making dinner last night, and whilst making the gravy, I thought that I could share a few tips and ideas as to making nice gravy that have helped me.  I used to make really bad gravy most of the time and lumpy and thin at the best of times.  But, since being at Tahlee, I have picked up a few good gravy ideas, so here goes... :)

The first tip is NOT to guess that you know how much gravy powder and water you need, but actually measure them out according to the directions on the packet.

1) Measure water in the saucepan  I generally use 3 cups of water because there are a lot of us who really like gravy... but it generally makes a little too much.  Based on the packet, you need 1 and 1/2 tablespoons for every cup.  (except this time I was using a different brand which claimed you needed 3 tablespoons.  Whatever.  :P)





2) Measure out the gravy mix into a separate bowl.  Heat the water on the stove until just simmering.  You don't want it to be simmering or boiling, otherwise the gravy will go lumpy.  It is ready when bubbles begin to appear on the bottom of the pot.  And if you are unsure when to go, earlier is better than later.

3) Whisk in the gravy mix, shaking it into the water.  Keep whisking furiously.  If it doesn't go lumpy in the first few moments of having added the powder, then you are pretty well safe.  If it is going to be ruined, then this will be the time.  It will go lumpy also if your water is too hot.



,
4) Continue to slowly whisk until the gravy is thick.  It is best not to let it boil.


And there you have it.  It took me quite a few times to get the temperature of the water right... and for the record, when you are making gravy for 50 people, there are a lot of lumps to pull out before you serve it!  That happened at Tahlee, so I went home and practised.  Now I am quite proud of my gravy making skills.  :P

* Disclaimer - the gravy I made last night didn't work as well as other times, I think that it due to the brand.  We normally just use the home-brand gravy mix, but for some reason we had this other one in the cupboard.  It was also gluten free, which I think didn't help the consistency.  That being said, it was a lot nicer today when I heated it up to put on our chicken sandwiches, maybe it just needed a bit of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts.... :)